As a model collector, there are times where I want some challenge in modeling or building a model from scratch. These model car kits are known for making these types of puzzle-like models. It’s basically like a puzzle and the product is a 3D object. Thus, since I am having some free time, I had my research on the best companies that make model car kits.
One of the best companies when talking about model car kits is Tamiya. Their attention to detail is superb and their model kits are very easy to assemble with complete instructions. Revell, Fujimi, Aoshima, and Hasegawa are also great choices since they also make highly detailed models.
The reason for this article is, of course, we want to build a high-quality model, then we need the best model car kit brands out there. Well, there are hundreds of companies manufacturing model car kits, but not all kits are worth your attention. For you to build your favorite car, plane, or whatever it is, you need to choose a model car kit from the best manufacturer.
Whether you would like to build iconic cars like classic Volkswagen Beetle or Steve McQueen’s Ford Mustang, it is possible to get the right model car kit. The best part is you can easily shop for model car kits, and they come at a reasonable price. Want to know the other best part, I already made the research for you.
I also recommend you to read another article which talks about which car model brands are the best. In this article, I am not only talking about plastic models but the whole model car industry which includes diecast or metal cars. here is the link: Which car model brand is the best
Tamiya is a Japanese model car kit manufacturer founded by Yoshio Tamiya in Shizuoka, Japan, in 1946. The manufacturer specializes in plastic model car kits.
Tamiya is the best model car kit you can find. Even most car model builders prefer to use the Tamiya car model kit, which comes at an affordable price. It is the best and high-quality model car kit, and it has incredible detail.
It is easy to start building your car with a Tamiya model car kit as it comes with instructions. Furthermore, the kits build themselves, and the car you get to produce doesn’t have errors.
The Tamiya kit comes with engines which is not the case with other model kits. Below is an example of the best Tamiya car model in my opinion.
Tamiya 1/24 Volkswagen 1300 Beetle 1966 Plastic Model Kit
Volkswagen “Beetle, which was first produced in 1966, is one of the Tamiya many collectors would love to build. Even though the first Volkswagen “Beetle was manufactured in 19666, the original design was designed in the 1930s.
Hence this Tamiya car model is among those iconic diecasts you can get Tamiya model car kit and start to build.
There are over 20 million Volkswagen Beetle units, an indication this is an exceptional vehicle ever produced by Tamiya.
Moreover, this 1966 Volkswagen model is referred to as classic Beetle because despite being produced many years ago, still today you can model the car with the same traits. It is a car that has attracted collectors.
Revell USA is yet another company that manufactures model car kits. The company is specializing in plastic scale models, which are cheaper compared to other manufactures.
If you wanted to build muscle cars, the NASCAR Revell USA model kit is best suited. After you bought your kit and anything is missing, you can call for a replacement. Here is the best car you can model with the Revell USA model kit;
Revell Ford Bronco Plastic Model Car Kit
The Revell ford Bronco is among those model cars which led to the production of a real car, the first ford compact SUV. It is a popular car today but the model car dated back to the 1960s.
Still, you can acquire the Revel USA model car kit and model this classic ford bronco. Even though the car has undergone several modifications up to the 5th generation, you can model the original Revell Ford Bronco using the revel USA plastic model car kit.
Fujimi is a model car manufacturer based in Shizuoka Prefecture. The company specializes in the manufacturing of plastic model kits. You can model some of the popular Ferrari models using this kit; besides, you can design nice scale models through modification.
The Fujimi model cars are detailed. Sometimes, it can be challenging to model a car, but you can choose the one you are comfortable building following a selection of car models. The following is the iconic Fujimi car you can model;
Fujimi 1/24 Ferrari 458
The Ferrari 458 Italia, which debuted at the 2009 IAA Frankfurt Motor Show, is an eight-cylinder two-seater Berlinetta with a mid-rear positioned engine that marks a significant departure from Maranello’s prior high-performance sports cars.
The 458 Italia extends the Ferrari legacy of putting the thrill back into driving due to track-derived technological breakthroughs. After buying the Fujimi, you can model this sports car. The model features technology and one of the detailed Fujimi cars.
Aoshima is yet another Japanese car brand that manufacturers plastic model kits of a variety of vehicles. With this kit, you can model Aoshima model cars and also diecast models.
Aoshima model car kit is ideal if you love JVMs. You can enjoy their reliable customer support if any part is missing or you have any inquiries. Most of the Aoshima model cars are detailed. Thus you need to be well knowledgeable about Aoshima model cars.
Several Aoshima model cars you can build after purchasing the kit differ in terms of scale, mostly 1/24 or 1/32. Here are the Aoshima diecast model cars you can build for your collection;
Aoshima 1/24 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 w Engine Detail
With Aoshima car model kit you can model the Aoshima 1/24 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 w. It is an iconic model car you can model and add to your collection.
The Aoshima model car kit has everything you need to model this car. The kit entails unassembled and unpainted parts, glue, and other basic modeling tools. What is required is your knowledge to model the car.
Aoshima 1/24 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 w features an extensive engine, open trunk, and a wide array of optional parts. You can choose to model the car in white, clear with chrome, black vinyl tires, and water-release decals.
Hasegawa is also a Japanese car model car kit manufacturer, and it produces plastic model kits that can use to model a variety of model cars.
There are limited Hasegawa model cars; thus, the Hasegawa cars’ need to have know-how is modeled. But there are several models you can model among the Hasegawa 1:24 Scale VW Type 2 Pick-Up Truck.
Hasegawa 1:24 Scale VW Type 2 Pick-Up Truck
Hasegawa 1:24 Scale VW Type 2 Pick-Up Truck dated back in 1950, and it features a box-shaped body mounted. It is a classic model car you can build after purchasing the Hasegawa model car kit.
One of the Volkswagen Type 2 model cars with rich history and ranked as the second best-selling vehicle. Some confuse this model car with pick-up, but the high cargo bed which extended from behind distinguishes it for pick-up.
If you love to model diecast cars, these are the best manufacturing model car kits. At the top of the list and the best company is Tamiya. The price is on the high end but is worth it.
Even if you would like to gift your kind with a model car kit look, go for one manufactured by reputable car brands. If you are trying to search which company manufactures the best model kit, here we have details about the five iconic model car kit manufacturers of all time. Additionally, you get to learn the best car model manufactured by that model kit manufacturer to show you that they are worthy to shop for.
If you are a starter to car model, it is ideal you first familiarize yourself with the model car you would like to mode. Some of these model cars are detailed. Happy modeling!
“Only the things I love”
thediecastmodel.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on the site, I earn an affiliate commission.
So, here are the things I love when taking care of my Diecast Models.
Cleaning the Models
The first we are going to talk about is cleaning the models.
- Air Brush – For me, this is the best since it not just removes dust but you can use it in painting/clear coating.
- Air Duster – This is a good alternative to Airbrush
- Normal Brush – If you are short on budget, you can use a normal brush. However, make sure that the brush has soft bristles because there are some hard brushes than can cause scratches. That’s why I recommended a good brush that can do the job properly.
Cleaning and Shining Hacks
Well, here are some of my cleaning hacks for removing scratches, oxidation, and so much more.
- Removing Decal Adhesive – Use Goo Gone on those hard-to-remove decal adhesives. It works fast and works like charm!
- Waxing and Polishing – Here is something a lot of people don’t know. Waxing protects the clear coat and paint while polishing shines the model. Instead of buying it separately, use a 2 in 1 to save money. Get this instead.
- Beginner Wax – The wax I recommended earlier is good and provides the best results based on my experience. But a beginner might have a problem especially if they’re not good at applying wax. Solid wax reaching hard to reach surface can be hard to remove. You have two choices here. One is to use a qtips to reach those surfaces, another is to use a liquid wax I recommended.
- Cleaning Wheels, Rubber, Plastic – Do not forget that rubber and plastic surface are quite different, especially in the cleaning process. Just wiping it down won’t do the job. That’s why I use Meguiar’s Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner. Works like charm!
- Make the Wheels Shine! – Making our models look good won’t be complete without tiny details such as shiny wheels! Do not forget this because however small this is, the difference can be as big as night and day.
- Remove Scratches Easily – Tiny scratches are not the end for your model. Here is a simple trick I’ve been using to make my models look scratch-free even without repainting. Use T-Cut.
Painting the Models
Make sure when you paint models, have these ready.
- Tape – A tape is important if you are painting a straight line. Furthermore, it will prevent your paint to scatter on other parts. I recommend Tamiya Tape since it is really made for models. Furthermore, they stick really well preventing paint splatters.
- Brush (Beginner) – Find a good set of brushes to paint your models. Of course, you can opt for an airbrush but it’s quite expensive.
- Airbrush (Intermediate/Expert) – This will yield a significantly better result than an ordinary brush because you can easily spray the paint evenly. I recommend this if you know what you’re doing.
- Stand(Optional) – Stands are good because it can be hard to manually hold the models while painting. It is optional but in my opinion, the price is well worth it for the comfort it gives.
- Drop Cloths – Drop Cloths will protect your surroundings from the paint.
- Primer – The most common beginner mistake I see is painting models without any Primer. A primer will prevent imperfections such as bubbles or paint not sticking to your models. It is a small price to pay for quality results.
- Clear Coat – A clear coat will protect the paint of your models. This will make the paint last longer. Also, it is the one responsible for making your models shine.
Of course, you can’t do painting properly without paint. So here are the ones I recommend.
- Acrylic Paint – Good for beginners because it dries quickly. However, it doesn’t produce results as good as enamel paint.
- Enamel Paint – Provides a good quality finish and longer-lasting paint. However, it takes longer to dry and requires expertise to use.
- Simple Wood Cabinet – While it doesn’t let you display your models, wooden cabinets are good storage for these models. For one, they are not heat conductors which means that the temperature inside will remain constant and remain cool. Furthermore, they prevent light from reaching the models which can cause oxidation.
- Clear Cabinet with Lock – If you want to display your models, then I recommend this. It closes so dust won’t easily get to your models. I also recommend you don’t put more than 1 model in each compartment since metals are good conductors of heat.
So you want to show off your models to others? Well, I got you covered.
Here is my beginner-friendly model photography tutorial that teaches everything from taking pictures to the editing process.
You will also see me doing hands-on photography in that tutorial.